Thursday, October 17, 2013

David Carrender Shot And Killed Son Following Argument About Watching Football


David Carrender faces murder charges in the shooting death of his son

Huffington Post

Indiana police arrested David Carrender, 49, on Sunday after his 19-year-old son, Wyatt Carrender, was gunned down at the family home in Martinsville. Police said that the younger Carrender was shot six times by his father with a handgun following an argument about watching football on television.

I wouldn't be surprised if this dangerous gun owner had a concealed carry permit, since they're so easy to get. No one checked if he had one, any more than they checked if he had a fishing license or library card.

The other thing I'm not surprised about is this is not his first incident. A neighbor reported witnessing a scene in which Carrender pulled a gun illegally. That's the way it usually works. People who make the news with gun misuse are generally not first-time offenders.

The real question for me is this: who is more representative of of gun owners, a guy like this or the extremist gun-rights fanatics. I think it's the former, at least insofar as typical gun owners suffer from all the ills of modern society, stress, depression, excess drinking, drug abuse, problems with rage. The gun-rights advocates, on the other hand, adhere strictly to safety rules, but are only a tiny fraction of the whole.

What's your opinion?  Please leave a comment.

13 comments:

  1. "Once home, the fight escalated. According to the police report, the pair fought in the stairway, and Wyatt Carrender head-butted his father, sending him crashing down the stairs."
    http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=94698

    Sounds like both parties are not averse to having a family dust-up. Though it certainly is no excuse for adding a gun to the equation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great of you to admit such a thing. Greg and Tennessean could never do such a thing.

      Delete
    2. I also doubt he's a permit holder. He didn't carry when he went out. And of course, Buffalo Wild Wings doesn't allow firearms.

      Delete
    3. What the Fuck, Mike? I'm incapable of saying that it's inappropriate to shoot a family member, or anyone in general, in the course of a dumbass fist fight?

      Explain yourself or apologize for your libel.

      Delete
    4. T., I fully expected you to defend the father's actions as possibly having been self defense. Doesn't that sound like you? ss admitted that it's too bad a gun was introduced into the mix, but I can't imaging you ever saying something like that. Am I wrong?

      Delete
    5. And now that you finally get around to responding you show that you can't be bothered to remember past statements I've made about appropriate use of force, claims of self defense by people in fistfights, etc. Instead, you want to misrepresent my past statements and postions, turning me into a caricature that will always support all claims of self defense.

      Have I done so in the past? No. Was there any indication that I supported such a claim here? No, there wasn't, and when I did comment, it's pretty obvious I thought this was a wrongful shooting. But ignore all that and lie some more about how it sounds like me--about how you can't imagine me saying that using a gun here was wrong--even though I've said it about past cases.

      Of course, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you'd lie about me here. After all, you and your co-bloggers have lied about me in so many ways in the past; why should it surprise me that you would misrepresent my positions on self defense after you guys have lied and accused me of everything from hating Muslims to having a sexual connection with my guns, back around to being a member of the KKK. Y'all aren't interested in the truth, just in winning points at all costs--even if it means lying your asses off.

      Delete
    6. You are so thoroughly dishonest that you'd say anything. You normally defend the shooter in any situation if there's the slightest possibility that it was self defense. But this time, since I said that about you first, you deny it, in your lengthy prolix lying bullshit way.

      Delete
  2. Except the facts show that gun owners in general and license holders specifically are more like those of us who support gun rights here. In other words, law-abiding, responsible people.

    Pesky, thing, fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong, Greg. Your repeating lies does not make it so.

      Delete
    2. We've shown you facts. All you've done is insist, without evidence, that you're right. So how about proving that what I said was false?

      Delete
  3. Using this as a casw against gun ownership is stupid. If it wasnt a gun it would habe been a knife, if not a knife his bloody fists. Wyatt and his dad ONLY had a bad relationship when his father drank, and it has since been remitted that Wyatt began the violence. These are people. People I cared for, and that I spent a lot of my time with. Using an article of a father with alcoholism shooting his son six times in front of his newly pregnant girlfriend is distasteful and inconsiderate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if you find it distasteful and inconsiderate but it illustrates very well a problem we have. Too many gun owners are unfit and dangerous. You happen to be wrong that knives and bloody fists do the same damage as guns. They don't.

      Delete